Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth success

OK. So yesterday went off without a hitch. We did buffet style and everyone left full and happy. Just one problem….. There wasn’t “room for Jell-o” and now I have a fridge of Jell-o parfaits. What’s a girl to do? I just guess we will be having them for the next few days. The house was perfect and I truly enjoyed having everyone over. I love to cook but only when it brings people together. (as long as someone else cleans :)

I went to see the fireworks put on by the Air Force Academy. It was good but not as fabulous as the Memorial Park display. I have been going to those fireworks for decades.
My whole life.

I was born and raised in Colorado Springs. My daughter was born in the same hospital. My boyfriend (almost fiancé) and I drove past the house my family rented when I was a kid. While we joked about buying it, because it was up for sale, the traditions of this town are deep for me. I almost told him to put in an offer.

Which brings me back to the fabulous Memorial Park display. I remember being so close to the symphony I could hardly hear the boom of the fireworks, or being underneath them and thinking they were going to drop on me. I lived 4 blocks from the park and have taken Lindie every year. Each year she has more and more fun. This year all she could do was say “I have to go potty” which is Lindie speak for “I’m bored”. I understand money is tight and it was just not in the cards for the city to put on the display. But I still wonder, if you asked the people of Colorado Springs for donations to keep the tradition alive how many would pay to see those beautiful, bright sparkly bits of 4th tradition? I would put a $100 on it. Maybe I’m just in the minority?

No comments:

Post a Comment